Set to the song “Sweet Honey” this simple game was a huge hit in our house. Dance n’ Beats from Mother Goose Time does a great job of keeping my kids moving on stormy or super hot days when we find ourselves inside.
Not only is the music really fun with catchy lyrics, but the dance moves are great for helping kids gain mastery over their own movements. Games and free dance suggestions help us make the most of our music from Mother Goose Time. This selection is part of the Bees and Butterflies theme.
The honeycomb was simple to make. We substituted a hot glue gun for the paperclips and regular glue. It worked fine!
- cardboard rolls
- Cut a cardboard roll into 1-inch strips.
- Help the child fold each section into a hexagon.
- Glue the hexagons together to form a honeycomb design. Paperclip the sides together while the glue dries.
- Play the song and invite the child to try to toss bees (pompoms) into the sections of the honeycomb.
- Remove the paperclips when the sections are dry. Attach the bees to the honeycomb as desired.
- Invite children to pretend they have sticky honey on their hands.
- Call out a body part and encourage them to stick their hands to that part as they dance.
- Change positions throughout the song.
Dance n Beats has been a hit with our family for years! The kids really enjoy getting the chance to get moving with kid friendly music. I appreciate that the music is easy on adult ears and is consistent with the theme of the month. Moving and learning are meant to be together. Dance n Beats is a great way to combine them!
We had a wonderful time using our honeycomb. We tossed our “bees” into the comb from the floor and while standing and circling the honeycomb. We also did a bizarre version of freeze where we only threw the bees in when the music was playing. If the music was paused, the bee had to be thrown again!
At several points many of the bees flew around the room before making their way back to the honeycomb, so I do recommend doing this in an area where you aren’t having to dig pompoms back out of small places at the end of play time!
If you are interested in reading more about our experience with Mother Goose Time, check out our curriculum page!
Find new fun ideas for games and crafts for early childhood when you follow us on Instagram!
As a blog ambassador for Mother Goose Time, I am happy to share preschool curriculum ideas, activities, and crafts with my readers. Mother Goose Time provides our family the opportunity to use their curriculum free of charge in exchange for honest and authentic stories based on our personal experience.